Friday, 29 March 2013

RSS Feeds

I feel I should admit that I find RSS feeds a little confusing. I was first introduced to them officially in Information Provisions in the first week of this semester when I set up a Google reader account. I began adding different groups, but found it a bit difficult to find the organizations I was looking for through the Google Reader search tool. When I started looking further into RSS feeds for this project, I wanted to find something that had some very basic information about how they worked so that I could get the concept clearer in my head. For this purpose I found the HowStuffWorks entry on RSS very helpful. One of the main things I took from the first page of explanation was how to subscribe to feeds directly from the website of the organisation - which I found much clearer. I immediately went on to the Wheeler Centre website and found the RSS feed link, which then led me to another page that gave two different feeds to subscribe to, one for Upcoming Events and the other for Dallies. I followed the instructions and subscribed to both. In future, I think this is the best way to add feeds and I will keep an eye out on interesting sites for the little orange box.

http://wheelercentre.com/

http://wheelercentre.com/subscribe/rss-feeds
The ability to consolidate in the one spot all the different updates for websites that you are interested in has real benefits. It makes it easier for the person reading to be up-to-date with important items, and also for the organisation, website or group to maintain a connection with the people visiting the site. On HowStuffWorks, in his piece RSS Reader, Chris Pollett, however, does make the important point that, while Feed Readers can save time on the internet, they can also become unmanageable if you subscribe to too many site and then end up with a vast amount feeds to sift through. It may, therefore, be a challenge to organisations to make their RSS Feeds something that somebody would want to subscribe to - whether this means making sure that they send out feeds regularly or maybe making sure that the feeds are tallied towards their intended audience.

With Google Reader ending in July this year - a topic that abounds on the Internet at the moment - I have moved my small subscription list from Google Reader to Feedly. This was not as simple as I thought because I wanted to try and find away to do it that did not require me giving Feedly access to my Google account.  I had previously used Google's Takeout service (following the instructions on Mashable's "How to Export Your RSS Feeds From Google Reader") to download the details of my subscription list and was ready to import them into another reader. However, I discovered this was not the way it worked - in fact, I couldn't set up a different account for Feedly. When I clicked create account, it took me to a screen that showed me how to set up a Google account. I then clicked that I already had one, but it wouldn't bring that account up. This happened because previously I had clicked that I would not allow it to access my account. It was a bit of a cycle, until I caved and just clicked Allow and suddenly all of the feeds that I had subscribed to were in place.

One of my Category Boxes on Feedly
I do like the layout of Feedly - better than Google Reader actually, as I find the layout easier to navigate as I am a visual person. I think this means that I will be more likely to use it than Google Reader, which I found a bland interface to interact with. I have also organized my feeds into different categories - which I found worked rather like the different boards on Pinterest (I have just started a Pinterest account to explore how it works).

Altogether, I find RSS feeds interesting - I like the way that the feeds in Google Reader and Feedly have more detail in them than Twitter posts and that they are a way of staying up-to-date without the concurrent social media aspect - although for organizations, libraries and information services included, I think both tools are very valuable as the combination provides ways of both showing what they do and encouraging people to interact with them.





4 comments:

  1. Hello Elizabeth,

    I found your post on RSS Feeds to be quite fascinating, as I had started from a similar point by creating my first RSS Feed account on Google Reader etc. You mention setting up an account on Feedly, have you thought about exploring other RSS Feed Readers such as NewsBlur and The Old Reader? It would be useful to maybe compare these different readers in terms of functionality and useability. Anyway, I would be interested to hear you comments. Happy "Feeding".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stuart,

    Thanks for your comment. I did have a look at some of the other Readers when I discovered that Feedly wouldn't let me create an account without giving them access to my Google information. I looked at The Old Reader, but I remember reading on it that it had a more social focus, which was not specifically what I was looking for with my Reader. I found a site that listed some different Readers and one of the comments left at the bottom talked about a WordPress feeder. As far as I could tell, however, this only related to putting RSS feeds on your WordPress blog. After looking at the interfaces of a range of Feeders, I decided to go back to Feedly. The more I use it, the more glad I am that I chose it. I still really like the layout and have found it easy to navigate. What RSS Feeders have you been looking at? Have you used The Old Reader or NewsBlur?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth,

    I only managed to investigate a couple of RSS Feed Readers, and like yourself, I found Feedly to be the most user-friendly. I had a quick look at NewzCrawler, but I believe that if you wanted to use their "Pro" version there was a fee involved, so that put an abrupt halt to further exploring that reader. I also had a snoop at FeedDemon, which was a free service, but was somewhat confused by the general layout of the reader interface and found it a little difficult to interact with. The thing I like about Feedly is that it synchronizes nicely with Google Reader and transfers your links and subscriptions over without any fussing about. Plus I liked the layout and interface of Feedly as it was fairly easy to navigate around the various functions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stuart,

    Thanks for your reply. Your comments on the different Feed Readers you looked at are really interesting. I do wonder at the profitability of Readers that have fees attached, especially as I am finding that Feedly is perfectly suited to what I need.

    ReplyDelete